|SUMMARY OF:||A Sunset Review of the Department of Commerce, Community, and Economic Development, Regulatory Commission of Alaska|
Why DLA Performed This Audit
The audit determines whether there is a need for the council’s continued existence and whether the council’s termination date should be extended. The council is set to terminate June 30, 2022, and will have one year from that date to conclude its administrative operations.
Overall, the audit concluded RCA operated in an effective manner and served the public’s interest by:
- assessing the capabilities of utility and pipeline companies to safely serve the public;
- evaluating tariffs and charges made by regulated entities;
- verifying the pass-through charges to consumers from electric and natural gas utilities;
- adjudicating disputes between ratepayers and regulated entities;
- providing consumer protection services; and
- performing financial reviews of utilities for the State’s power cost equalization program.
In accordance with AS 44.66.010(a)(3), RCA is scheduled to terminate on June 30, 2022. We recommend the legislature extend the termination date eight years to June 30, 2030.
Findings and Recommendations
- The RCA chair should clarify regulations concerning the cancelation of scheduled public meetings.